Thursday, April 19, 2012

Children's Corner Mary De

This was my first Mary De I ever made.  That was (oh boy I'm showing my age) 15 years ago.  Brittany was 4 when she wore this. OUCH!  It is still in fantastic shape considering its age.  I have made 3 or 4 since then and 2 of those just last year.  I can't find those pictures though.

The reason for the post you ask?  Well, I am making another Mary De in a fabulous fabric full of strawberries with a beautiful strawberry smocking plate from Crosseyed Cricket for my little friend, Gracie.  But this time I'll be using a smocked insert.  I'll be posting a tutorial on how to do that, since the pattern does not give instructions.  So I'm flying by the seat of my pants on this one.  I hope it turns out the way I envision.  If not, I'm in trouble because it will require that I cut the front skirt much shorter.  If I do that, and I totally make a mess of this, I will not have enough fabric to make another skirt!  But I'm feeling scared to death lucky!? 

Also, my smocking plate is 7 rows, but I have 14 rows on the dress.  I'll show you how I add rows to the plate to make up the other 7 rows.  I've done this with 2 or 3 rows before but never 7!  Should I just shoot myself now?  What was I thinking??  I just loved the plate.......I couldn't resist.  Besides, do you know how hard it is to find picture smocking plates for yoke dresses with that many rows?  Seriously, not easy.   Geometrics are easy to find with many rows, and even easier to add/subtract rows as needed.

I have the insert pleated, blocked and ric rac attached.  I'll have a post on that probably tomorrow.  I'll be doing this in parts, so the posts won't get too long.  I'll smock the insert before attaching it, because the dress has a facing that covers the smocking on the inside.  That makes it a little harder to smock. :)

Stay tuned.

Happy Thursday!
Angela

0 comments:

Post a Comment