Friday, February 28, 2014

Georgia Day Costume (sort of tutorial)

Every year, our school has a Georgia Day celebration.  I have made costumes for Robbie before, and they typically last a few years.  I made this one this year, and it should carry him through next year.  I couldn't find a pattern that I wanted.  I was looking for something fairly authentic.  I found one from one of the big 3, but he fell right in between the sizes available. Grrrr....

So I went searching online for pictures of authentic Native American clothing until I found one I thought I could replicate.  You can see it is a little long for him, but he has plenty of growing room.  This was super easy to make.

I had a football jersey pattern, and I used that neckline to draw on my fabric.  I folded the fabric first to get my length right.  The shoulders have no seams.  That is the folded edge.  I traced my neckline and cut it out.  Then I used a shirt Robbie had to measure the arm length, and I marked that.  I wanted extra wide sleeves, so I could cut the fringes without have to sew them in.  I allowed a generous 3 to 4 inches for the fringes.

I stitched my seams with wrong sides together.  Then went back and cut my fringes right up to the seam line.  I did add a piece of fabric at the neckline to cut those fringes.  I found some beads at Joann's and hand stitched those to the neckline to hide the seam.  I also measured up the side seam (from the bottom) and drew in my line to get that angled cut at the bottom.

I found the fabric at Joann's with the embroidery already done and used the same fabric for his headband.
I used a piece of elastic stitched to the back to keep it on his head, then used Velcro to attach a third piece to the back to hide the elastic.  This is what it looks like from the side.  I slid it over just a tad, so you could see the Velcro.  I didn't even think to snap a pic without the flap. :(

The photo is a bit blurry, but you can just see the Velcro.  Those little dark spots are glue spots.  I should have used a different glue or just stitched them down.  I didn't want stitch lines to show so it would appear seamless.  I glued the feathers to the flap.  It allowed them to sit nice and tight against his head and stay put.

The fabric was a knit, so I didn't have to finish any of the edges.  Yay!  Easy, peasy project.  And I tried to stay as close to authentic as possible to be respectful.

Let me know if you have questions.

Thanks for stopping by.
Happy Friday!

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Simplicitiy 1605

I love this pattern!  Two of Robbie's friends  who also happen to be our neighbors had birthdays this month.  After some suggestions on what to get them, it was decided they need jammy pants.  I made 2 pair for each, one pair cotton and one flannel.  I made them a little longer for growing room.

It took me roughly 3 hours to get all 4 pair complete.  That's how easy this pattern is.  I didn't put it together per the instructions though.  I did these sort of assembly line style.  I stitched the front to front, back to back.  Serged those seams  Then I stitched the inner seam and side seams all at once and serged those.  Then hem and make the casing for the elastic.

I did have to alter the length on 2 pair (shortening), and the inside seams at the legs didn't line up well.  I will use Nancy Zieman's method on shortening the next go around.  It works much better I think.

On a side note, I am actually getting much better matching my plaids.  The top pair I flipped to the back, so you could see that is the only seam that I couldn't match up.  I'm not sure it's entirely possible to match up every seam, but I'm going to keep at it.

Here is the front seam.

And the side. I have it folded over just a bit.  You can just see it on the right.

And how about the hem??!!  I almost matched it too.  LOL  I just folded it up a bit to show you.

Other than that back seam, I think they came out pretty well matched.

Happy Monday!

Monday, February 3, 2014

Easy Peasy Pillow

I have been sewing some pillow shams and throw pillows for a friend recently.  My friend wanted a zipper in the seam of this pillow.  I had never tried this application before, so I searched and searched the Internet for instruction.  You would not believe how many tutorials there are on pillows with invisible zippers that I felt were poorly installed.  I won't post pictures of those, because 1. I think it's rude and 2. I don't believe I am entitled to offer criticism when my own work is far from perfect.

Then I looked at my own store bought and very expensive pillows on my sofa, and I was shocked at how poorly the zippers were installed, and that I had paid for them!  Granted, most people won't see the zipper anyway, because of its placement on furniture.  But I think they should be done correctly especially if you are paying for them.

This is how I believe the zipper should look.  The zipper is completely invisible.  I have not perfected this technique yet, but I will.  And I will share my method when I have.

This pillow cover is very loose ,so that could be one reason my zipper lays properly.  I like my pillows very taught and full, but my friend likes hers very loose fitting.  So I'll do this again with a tighter application and see if I get the same result.

Happy Monday!