Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Lace scarf - hand dyed lace

I have wanted for a long time to try my hand at dying lace.  I saw this done by one of my online sewing friends, and the dress was absolutely stunning.  I didn't want to attempt this on a large scale, so I opted for a simple scarf.  My wonderful MIL gave me a big box of fabric and this was in that box.  I believe it is satin.

It was super easy.  I just used cotton lace that I had on hand and soaked it in Rit dye with hot water.  I didn't like the color the first time around, so I repeated it a second time.  I thought I could always make the color darker but probably not lighter.  I followed the instructions on the bottle.  I let it air dry and pressed it with my iron to set it.

Then I used Wonder Tape to hold the lace in place to stitch it.

Here is a close up.

So what do you think?  Will you try it?  If you do, I'd love to see it.

Happy Wednesday!!
Angela


0 comments:

Post a Comment