Monday, April 28, 2014

Newlook 6103


I absolutely love this skirt and will definitely make it again.  This is the second one I've made from this pattern.  I did view A the first time and view B this time. I do not have modeled pics yet.  This is for my friend, Sarah.  I am working on a matching top and will snap pics of the whole outfit when it's finished.




This is a close up of the feather stitching, but it is also a better picture of the colors in the fabric.  I found this fabric at Fabrika in downtown Savannah.  I love the girls in the shop.  They are always super helpful in choosing fabrics.


Pattern Description:  Newlook 6103. I made view B.

Pattern Sizing: 4-16 - I cut a size 6.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes


Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, very clear instructions.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I love the hem of this skirt.  I used a hand feather stitch to close the hem and draw attention there.  I did not like that it used interfacing on the hem facing.  It makes the bottom of the skirt too stiff.


Fabric Used: 100% cotton

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I increased the front skirt width by 1" and the back by 4".  I also added 2" to the back length and graded it to the side seams.  Baby got back!  I didn't need all that extra room in the front.  I also added 2 drapery weights to the back hem of the skirt.  Sarah has an ample bottom, and skirts like this will ride and flare at the center bottom despite the generous 2" length alteration.  I took in the center back seam grading it up to the zipper, and that solved the problem until I attached the facing.  The stiffness created that flare again.  I clipped some binder clips to the bottom just to see if the weight would solve the issue.  It did.  So I incorporated drapery weights into the hem rather than removing the facing to redo it without the interfacing.  That's why you see those small drag lines in the above photo.  It doesn't do that on Sarah.  I also replaced the lapped zipper with an invisible one. 


Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes, I absolutely would sew it again. And I definitely recommend it to others.


Conclusion: This is a very versatile skirt.  I would not recommend this skirt for a beginner but intermediate and advanced sewers will have no trouble at all.  FYI: I used Joy Mahon's pattern alteration methods in her Crafty Class "Fast Track Fitting".  I love me some Joy!!  And I used Katrina Walker's methods in her Crafty Class "Sew Smarter" to get dimple free darts and bubble free zippers.  Both worked quite well for me.  Love her too!  I recommend both of these classes.


PS

I was asked about the flare and thought I'd explain with a photo.


 This was my first muslin fitting.  See how it rides up at center back and flares out?  That is from having a bubble butt.  Once I lengthened the back by 2" and took it in more at the bottom center seam allowance, it solved the problem.  Lengthening it alone was not the answer.  Understand, this is how I solved it, not necessarily the best solution.  I couldn't find any information on how to fix this.  My side seam is a little off here too, but that fix didn't solve the problem either.

4 comments:

  1. Cute skirt! To fix the butt issue cut a slash from the center back to the side seam but leave the side seam connected. Open the slash and let it spread until the side seams hang straight and there is no stress on the butt. The slash will open to the correct amount needed. So in the end you will have a space added that is widest at center back and tapering to nothing at the sides. HTHs....Bunny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just wanted to add the slash is horizontal at the fullest part of the butt in the back.

      Delete
    2. That makes perfect sense and so simple!! Thank you so much!! I can't wait to try it this way.

      Delete
  2. Bunny, thank you for,that little tip. I think that will help me with fitting for DGD...even on shorts and slacks. I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete