Monday, August 31, 2015

Apple Core Tips

I wasn't thinking when I posted this quilt top yesterday to share some tricks and tips I found online and discovered along the way through trial and error.

Some information I found at Missouri Star Quilt Company.   Jenny has a tutorial on the apple core both the small 4" and the larger 9 3/4" that I used for this quilt.  She is very clear, and it was very easy to follow her instructions.   I used this method to match my points.  But it wasn't as easy as matching points on squares.

One tip for this quilt when laying out your blocks.  Take pictures as you go.  I moved these blocks around many times before I found the one I wanted.  Then I changed my mind and moved them again.  Ultimately I changed it back, and I had the picture to know exactly where the blocks were.

This quilt is 7 blocks across and 9 blocks down.  I stitched the 9 blocks together first to lessen the amount of rows I had to sew together.  So my 9 blocks went together first then the rows.  I clipped the center of each block on all 4 sides.  It made matching the blocks and the rows so much easier.  Before I picked up any of my blocks I put labels on the rows and numbered them.  I also noted my top piece, so I knew the top of my row and wouldn't get them confused or backwards.  I kept those labels pinned until the very end.

When I was stitching the blocks together, I started with 5 pins each, then when I was comfortable I went to 3, then I managed only one pin in the center after I became more comfortable.  When I stitched the rows together, I used one at each point and one at each center that I marked earlier.  I tried using a chalk marker for the centers, but they kept getting erased with the pressing and moving.

Pressing the seams is very, very important.  I kept my blocks going in different directions, but it really doesn't matter when you put the rows together.  Just press them well!

I hope this helps.  Please feel free to email questions or leave comments below.

Angela





2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tips. I've been collecting 1930s repros for an apple core so this post was very timely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad this was helpful! I am not a quilter, so I am happy to share what works for me. Lol. I forgot to mention that the large apple cores are easier to work with than the smaller ones. If you are used to curves though, you'll have no problem with either.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete